WHAT VERSIONS OF WHATSAPP ARE AFFECTED BY THE BUG?
- Android versions prior to 2.19.274
- iOS versions prior to 2.19.100
- Enterprise Client versions prior to 2.25.3
- Windows Phone versions before and including 2.18.368
- Business for Android versions prior to 2.19.104
- Business for iOS versions prior to 2.19.100
If left unpatched, the bug could allow hackers to remotely compromise smartphones by sending a video file containing malicious code to the victim's WhatsApp account.
When the video file is downloaded - something that can happen automatically in the app - the malicious code infects the account and lets the hacker steal information from the device.
WhatsApp quietly released a patch for the vulnerability last month, and said there is no evidence of it being exploited by hackers to steal data.